Sunday, June 29, 2008

Last Year at This Time.....

New Jack 3




We celebrated Jack's first birthday on Saturday with a little party at our house. Jack had a great time eating ice out of the drinks bucket but even more fun playing with his new water table. The water table is just the perfect gift for Jack. Thanks, Aunt Kathy! I didn't get any photos (feel free to share withe me if you took any). We had fajitas and some yummy cupcakes. Jack takes after his folks. He thought the cupcake was pretty good....and bonus, he didn't reach out to grab the candle.


I have mixed feelings about my baby turning one. In some ways, it's just a day. He'll be the same baby on Monday that he is today. But because we mark time like we do, I'm prone to spend the day thinking back about what we were doing "last year at this time". Last year at this time the hard work was over and we were oogling over our brand new baby boy. I've also spend some time trying to remember what those last days before parenthood were like. I have to say I have no idea what I was doing last year the day before I went into labor with Jack. I'm sure it involved laying on the couch. I do remember that Shawn and I stayed up late and had just gone to bed an hour or so before I got up to go to the bathroom and my water broke. If I had only known it would be many, many, many nights before I would have a good nights sleep I would have gone to bed much, much earlier.


Jack is really turning into a toddler. I noticed the other day that he looked just like a little kid asleep in his bed. It makes me sad to see my baby grow so fast. At the same time it's magical to see Jack's budding personality. He's such a sweet baby. Lately, he's taken to hugging the other babies in his playgroup. Sometimes the hug ends in an exuberant pat on the face and sometimes it's a full on body check, but it's love. Jack laughs a lot. I love the moments when he finds some ridiculous sound or unremarkable movement to be funny. He'll cackle and squeal with delight. He's curious about everything and quick to explore. He surprises me daily with his inquisitiveness and understanding. Jack keeps me on my toes and I wouldn't have it any other way. Happy Birthday Sweet Baby Boy!



No comments:

Post a Comment