Sunday, November 28, 2010

Poultry

DSC_8718

Well, Thanksgiving is officially over and it's on to Christmas Season. We had a great Thanksgiving. We headed to Grandma and Paw Paw's house for a few days. Jack was antsy to get there and asked me nearly every day for the week preceding Thanksgiving "if it was Grandma and Paw Paw's house day yet?". We had a lot of food, got to hang with new baby cousin Alex and actually got some sleep. Jack and Ivy both loved Alex. Ivy surprised us by saying Bebe and very clearly tried to say Alex...which sounded like "aleh". Sweet babies, all of them.

Saturday, we headed to the feed store and brought home six little babies of our own. We have six chickens living in our computer room. Yes. You read that right. Chickens. Shawn has been building a coop and is making great progress. It's looking really good. It'll be finished long before the chickens are ready to move in. In fact, we realized that come Christmas there is a good chance we will still have six chickens, six BIGGER chickens living in our house. We might put them out but it seems mean to throw them out on Christmas. Jack named the chicks. Their names are Roary, Lightning McQueen, Stinky the Garbage Truck, Max, Tree and (my favorite) Green Light. We bought half a dozen expecting 3 or 4 to 'cross the finish line'. Stinky may be the first to go, but maybe she'll surprise us.

We've kept a heating lamp in tbe box to keep our baby chicks warm, a bright heating lamp. Yesterday was quite warm so I turned the lamp off for a bit. I went back an hour or so later to check on the chicks and I thought they were dead. They were just laying there. They had been chirping nearly every second since we brought them home. Turns out they were sleeping. Turning the light off let them get some much needed shut eye. I have a few other chicken photos I need to get off my phone when I find it.(!)

DSC_8716

No comments:

Post a Comment