Thursday, July 10, 2008

Snot Nose



We headed back to the doctor's office this morning. I noticed that Jack has a runny nose on Tuesday. He had one especially thick peek-a-boo booger that took a few tries before it finally creeped out of his left nostril. This morning, I noticed the thick green goo smelled bad....like really bad breath or super stinky feet. My first thought was "GROSS!". My second thought was "This can't be good." The nurses at the Ped's office asked me to bring him in so they could make sure he didn't shove something up his nose that was causing an infection. (Apparently this is not uncommon. The doctor said he once saw a kid who shoved a lima bean up his nose. The bean was so happy in there that is sprouted and they had to call a specialist to get it out. He said the bean was so nasty you could smell the kid's nose when you walked in the room.) I was pretty sure this wasn't the case since it would take made dexterity to shove anything far enough up Jack's tiny nostril that we couldn't see it. He is advanced, and such talents run in the family so I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to check. His nose was all clear minus the mucous. It looks like an ordinary upper respiratory infection festering in his nose. Pinning Jack down to look up his nose was not unlike what I imagine it would be to wrestle an big strong greasy pig. He put up a good fight leading the doctor to comment, "Boy, he's really strong!". Yep. That's my baby. If things don't clear up in the next few days Jack gets the Bubble Gum medicine. In the meantime I'm suppose to clear his nose with saline which may be a two-man job.

In other news, Jack has become more vocal. We don't understand what he's saying, but this doesn't matter to him. We think he's saying ball "ba" and this "dis". He also figured out how to steer is little wooden push cart. This is a welcome development. I've spent a good amount of time pulling it away from the wall and redirecting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment