Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ivy

Today is a good day. I'm rested. Jack is napping and Ivy is pretty happy. It's good to have a chance to sit down and write a bit about Ivy. With the luxury of time, I recorded so many details about Jack and poor Ivy, already a second kid, very little has been written down.

4 weeks


Let's start with sleeping. Ivy is a shockingly good sleeper! Last night she went down around 9 and slept until 4:30!! Seriously. I heard about babies that sleep, but my kid? Wow. Not every night is like that. We've had our share of eating every 2-3 hours at night but the fact that we're blessed with one of these nights every so often makes this parenting thing so much easier. Being a parent already I recognize this may end abruptly for no reason so I'm enjoying every minute of it while it lasts.
Ivy had her 1 month checkup yesterday. The doctor confirmed she is perfect. She weighed in at 10lb 7oz! (That's in the 75-90% for those who are thinking, "what percentile is that?"). She is 21.5" long (75%). No wonder she seems big to me! (Not big in a bad way. She's perfectly proportional. She just seems to grow noticeably every night. All that eating and sleeping is working. Here's a quick before pic (@ 2 weeks old) to compare to the current photos.

2 weeks old


Now, a quick advance apology for mentioning the gas, but MAN this kid is gassy. That is one of the more shocking things about her (besides her head of dark hair). Not only does Ivy toot and burp a lot, but she is loud! I took her to the car dealership the other day to have my car serviced. She ripped 'em while we were waiting. It crossed my mind that people might think is was me and not this sweet baby girl making all that noise. Oy. I tried to catch her beautiful smile on video...but all I got was grunting.




Ivy is a wonderful baby! She looks so solemn in all the photos we have, but she is super animated. She makes lots of noise...squeaks and grunts and little coos. She moves a lot and is very very alert. She seems to pay lots of attention to what is going on in the room. She can move her head really well and is always looking for the action. Best of all, she is super smiley! Once she gets your attention, she beams and shoots you giant giggly grins. She'll coo back to you. She very clearly does this in response to your voice. It's not random. I could just eat her up when she looks at me and she smiles so hard you can see her dimples. Pure joy!

5 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment