Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sick Babies are sad.



It seems that Ivy has inherited my legacy of breathing troubles. I really hoped neither of my kids would have to go through breathing treatments, etc. We’re right in the thick of cold season and have had runny noses for what seems like weeks now. I thought Ivy escaped the bugs until I was wakened last night by a barking seal in the next room. Luckily I could recognize what was going on and headed to the steamy bathroom. Poor little baby was so tight she couldn’t cry this morning, just wheeze. It was pretty clear she needed more help than the steam could offer so we headed to the pediatrician asap. I didn’t have an appointment. I just showed up. They heard her cough and sent us right in. Uggh. No fever, just swelling in her throat. Have I heard all this before somewhere? I cried when they pulled out the nebulizer. Fortunately, she’s too young to remember this, but it was traumatic for me. Hard not only because she sounds so bad but because I know we will most likely will spend many nights in the next 10 years hanging out in steamy bathrooms…and I know how scary it feels when you can’t breathe….and there is very little I can do to help her. Poor baby. I guess the silver lining is this happened when Shawn was in town. Another week or two and I would have been going solo. Fingers crossed we’ll all get over the crud soon. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment